The best dessert for spring is a simple strawberry galette. Juicy fruit wrapped up in a flaky pastry crust? Where can you go wrong?
- 1–1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C (115g) unsalted butter (cold)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 C ice water
- 3 C chopped strawberries
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Optional: Chopped fresh mint, honey for drizzling
- Chop the butter into cubes (about 1/2-1 Tbsp pieces)
- Add the flour, butter and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times until the butter is in small pea size pieces.
- Add the water and pulse until the mixture becomes shaggy clumps.
- Pour it onto the counter and press it together into disk. Wrap it tightly in seran wrap and stick it in the fridge for 1/2 hour to 24 hours.
- Chop the strawberries into pieces and toss them with the sugar and vanilla and flour. Set aside to rest while you roll out the dough.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F (C) while you roll out the crust.
- You can make one large or two smaller galettes with this recipe. Lightly flour the counter and the dough. You can roll your crust out on seran wrap to make it easier to move as you go.
- If you’re making two divide the dough in half and roll out each half into a rough circle about 10″ across. Roll from the middle out to keep the dough even.
- Put a large piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and lay the crusts out on it.
- Divide the filling between the two crusts and spread the fruit out to about 2-3″ from the edge.
- Fold the edges up to cover the fruit, folding it as you go around.
- Optional: Brush with an egg wash (1 egg + 1 Tbsp water beaten together in a bowl) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until the crust is nicely golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you need to be a little extra today!
Use real butter and a good quality brand because this will make your pie dough amazing.
Find the ripest berries, local is great but that can be hard to come by. If they have a lot of white inside they won’t be as flavorful. I always smell the box before buying it – if it smells strongly like strawberries they will most likely be good!
Keywords: Galette, Pie, Pastry, Berries, Spring Dessert