Try a traditional European Christmas cookie recipe this year. Peppernut Cookies are a little sweet, spicy, crunchy and surprisingly addictive!
- 1–1/3 cup (315 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3–1/4 cups (440 g) unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (35 g) finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour through salt).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together the sugar and butter with the paddle attachment.
- Add the egg, molasses, vanilla and hot water and beat.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix. You can use a dough hook if you like. Add the last two Tablespoons of hot water and combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or two.
- Dust your hands and the counter with a little flour. Take a chunk of dough about the size of a baseball and roll it out into a long “snake” about 1/4-1/2″ across. Continue until all the dough is rolled out. Place the dough on wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (175 C) and line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Take out your cookie dough one “snake” at a time and quickly slice it into little cookies about 1/8 – 1/4″ thick. Place them close together onto the cookie sheet and bake for 11 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown.
- Cool on the counter.
- Let them cool before you eat them so the flavors have time to intensify!
If you want to have fun play around with the spices in your cookies!
Keywords: peppernut cookie recipe, european christmas cookie recipe, spicy crunchy peppernut cookie