Fresh flavors of lemon and blueberry meld in a dense but soft bundt cake. Top it with lemon brown butter glaze and you have the perfect end of summer cake.
- 3 cups (390 g) flour
- 1 cup (190 g) dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (235 ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) plain greek yogurt
- 8 Tbsp (110 g) melted butter (cooled)
- 4 Tbsp (55 g) butter
- 1/2 cup (65 g) pwd sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1–3 tsp hot water
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F (190 C) and grease your bundt pan.
- Zest your lemons and if you’re making buttermilk combine the lemon juice and milk and let it sit while you work.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, stir in the blueberries and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Gently stir in yogurt and buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir a few times until it starts to come together. Pour in melted butter and stir until just combined.
- Pour into your bundt pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 mins. (check your cake after 25 mins) The cake is done when it’s a golden brown color and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn it out onto a cooling rack.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, once it is melted add the lemon zest and continue to simmer until the butter is a golden brown color. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn!
- Put the powdered sugar in a medium glass measuring cup. Add the browned butter and whisk together.
- Add 1-3 tsp of hot water one at a time until you reach the desired pouring consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and serve.
To make your own buttermilk put 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice into a liquid measuring cup and fill to 1 cup with milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
If you decide you don’t want lemon in your glaze you can add 1 tsp of vanilla instead.
Keywords: lemon blueberry bundt cake, browned butter, lemon cake recipe, summer bundt cake