Homemade Spiced Chai is the perfect cup of tea for chilly autumn evenings. Fresh ginger and cardamom make it both tasty and good for fighting off a cold!
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 2 Tbsp loose black tea (or four strong black tea bags)
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger peeled and loosely chopped (or 1 1 /2 tsp ground)
- 3/4 tsp whole cardamom crushed in a mortar and pestle (1/2 tsp ground)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- black pepper to taste
- Put the water, milk and tea into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, cardamom and sugar and bring to a boil – watch it or it will boil over and make a mess of your stove!
- Strain it into cups (if using fresh spices) and sprinkle with black pepper if desired.
- Drink hot!
Keep any extra in the fridge and re-boil when you want seconds.
Adjust the spices and sugar to taste and experiment with others!
This is just as good or better warmed up the second day.
Keywords: homemade chai recipe, spiced chai, tea recipe