I had planned for this to be last week’s post but since we were vacationing in Colorado it just didn’t happen. Now that we’re home and getting settled in it’s the time of year to start thinking about fall schedules. Since we home school we don’t usually start before labor day. I have our curriculum but I need to make a schedule for each kid and myself! One of our struggles in the mornings is breakfast. I need the kids to eat something filling enough to keep them from begging for snacks all morning. Unfortunately they don’t love eating breakfast. This Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Granola is my attempt to fulfill our breakfast needs.
If we don’t eat this for breakfast we’ll definitely have it for snack. I was a little worried about the amount of sugar per serving so I put it through the Spark Recipes Nutrition Calculator. It came out with 3.9 g Fiber, 5.1 g Sugar, and 4.6 g Protein per half cup serving. That’s what I was aiming for – not excessively sweet but still tasty with plenty of protein and fiber to keep us full longer!
Use GF certified oats for a tasty snack that’s gluten and dairy free. Be aware that the amount of sugar in your servings will vary depending on which brand you are using. I used Skippy’s Natural Peanut Butter with Honey. For reference it has 5 g per serving (2 Tbsp). Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Granola is a great snack for those afternoon slumps. I took a bag on the plane with us when we headed to Colorado last week!
I am planning to test a few other granola recipes but for now I am really enjoying this one. Coconut milk, peanut butter, dark chocolate – what’s not to love, right?! What are your plans for the upcoming weeks? Mine are to do more yoga, eat healthy snacks like this, and test fall recipes. I know it’s still August but I’m diving into fall unashamedly next week!
Perfect for breakfast or an after school snack, this granola is simple and delicious! It’s also gluten free and dairy free with plenty of fiber and protein.
- 3 1/2 cups (345 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (35 g) unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup (25 g) ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup (90 g) pecans – or nuts of your choice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) peanut butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) canned coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup (45 g) dark brown sugar
- 10 squares (60 g) Hershey’s Dark Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut, flax seed and nuts.
- Whisk together the p.b, coconut milk, honey, and brown sugar in a small bowl – it will be thick.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until there are no dry spots left.
- Spread out in a baking tray (with edges) and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Once it’s cooled down, roughly chop the dark chocolate and mix in.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp.
- Makes 16, 1/2 cup servings.
You can substitute any kind of nuts for pecans.
Other nut butters can also be substituted but the recipe might need to be adjusted depending on their consistency and amount of sugar.
Keywords: healthy granola recipe, peanut butter granola, healthy peanut butter chocolate granola, breakfast recipe