Today is my baby girl’s birthday! It’s hard to believe that it’s been 11 years since that adorable little baby changed our lives forever. She’s now a pretty pre-teen with a quick wit, a love of everything, and some impressive artistic talent. It seemed only fitting to salute that with a batch of Funfetti Celebration Cupcakes.
These fluffy vanilla cupcakes are super easy to whip up from scratch and filled with your favorite sprinkles. Top them off with multi-colored icing and finish with a dusting of clear sprinkles for the glitter effect. We even found some super cool candles at the local craft store that have colored flames!
You could also make these for Valentine’s Day in reds and pink or use it for a gender reveal party.
Jasmine requested that her party theme this year be fairy tale. She’s been reading the Land of Stories books and she has her Mother’s love of fantasy and fairy tales. For her party this weekend I agreed to make a unicorn cake, so hopefully it comes out well! This time of year is always a whirlwind of activity because the kids birthdays are a mere 10 days apart. I have a feeling we are going to be partied out by the second week of February.
I’ve made funfetti cake mixes before a few times but not often. I think my problem is that I love chocolate so much! I also have had a lot of trouble with vanilla cake. Sometimes it’s too dense or comes out rubbery. Once you add the vanilla icing and the sweetness compounds I get overloaded and wish for chocolate.
I’ll admit though, I like this recipe. Funfetti Celebration Cupcakes are quite easy – you can make them in just one bowl. The cake is light and not overly sweet. Add the icing and a few more sprinkles and it’s perfect. I wanted to try a multi-colored icing to carry-on the colorful theme. To accomplish that I divided the icing into three bowls and colored one with each primary color. Then I put a scoop of each into the piping bag (along the edges) and let them mix as I piped it out. I’m not an expert at piping but I think it turned out fine!
Are you a funfetti lover? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for pinning and sharing! Until next week.
Funfetti Celebration Cupcakes are made from scratch in just one bowl! Soft and delicious vanilla cake topped with a swirl of rainbow icing is a sure hit! Customize your colors for any occasion.
- 2–½ cups (340 g) unbleached white flour
- 1 cup (225 g) sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1–¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅓–½ cup (55–70 g) sprinkles
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter softened
- 5–½ cups (660 g) powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and line your muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla and mix.
- Stir in the sprinkles.
- Put about ¼ cup of batter into each liner (should be about ¾ full).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (Check after 18 minutes).
- Cool on a rack on the counter before icing.
- Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes in a mixer.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Divide the icing into three bowls and color each one a primary color. I used liquid coloring for a pastel look.
- Put a scoop of each color into a piping bag along the sides. I piped from the center out with a large star tip.
- Dust the tops with clear crystal sprinkles for a glittering look.
My icing is a little thin because of course I ran out of powdered sugar when I made these!
Adjust the amount and colors of sprinkles to suit your event.
Keywords: Vanilla funfetti cupcake recipe, birthday cupcakes, vanilla cake recipe