We’re going to keep it really simple and delicious this week. Let’s be honest we all have a thousand things going on right now and no one needs to add to the list! This Easy Dark Chocolate Cake is hands down my favorite cake. It’s super simple to make, uses just one bowl and is both delicious and light. Topped with a nice pile of whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon it’s really a delightful dessert.
Do you get overwhelmed by all the rich food and sweets during the holiday season? I love food but it can definitely get tiring. The good news is that this cake looks lovely and fancy but is incredibly airy. The cake has a deep dark chocolate flavor accented with a little punch of espresso. However, because we are making it with hot water and buttermilk it has a very soft and fluffy texture. Putting whipped cream on top gives a beautiful pile of “icing” but without all the sugar and butter. I like to sprinkle mine with cinnamon because I love the flavor combination, but you can put whatever you like on top!
The kids and I are officially done with school today, yay! We are going to plan some fun baking projects to hand out to our friends. Last year we made homemade marshmallows and handed them out with little packets of hot chocolate which was super fun. I think we’ll do that again this year since it was a hit. Because I’ve been baking and blogging for almost six months now (crazy!) I’m finding that all the holiday baking is energizing me which is a new feeling. I think I’ll test some recipes for the new year which is really fun!
It’s hard to believe that 2017 is almost over. Is it just me or do the years go by faster as we get older? I’m pretty excited for 2018. As I get older I’ve learned to embrace the process of learning and growing a little more. It’s exciting to plan a full year of blogging and baking as well. What would you like to see on the blog next year? Are there any types of recipe you are looking for or pain points you find when baking?
Merry Christmas friends! Enjoy your Easy Dark Chocolate Cake this week. Next week we’ll be making some special cinnamon rolls which will be perfect for Christmas morning celebrations.
Thanks as always for pinning and sharing!
Easy Dark Chocolate Cake is simple and delicious. Topped with a generous helping of whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon it’s sure to be a favorite!
- 2 cups (260g) flour
- 2 cups (345g) sugar
- ¾ cup (75g) cocoa powder (dark chocolate)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup (125ml) oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups (475 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 5 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C) and line two 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Put all the dry ingredients into the bowl of a mixer and combine.
- Add everything else except the boiling water and beat on medium for about a minute.
- With the mixer on low slowly add the boiling water and combine. The batter will be very thin!
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- Whip the heavy cream, vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half of the cream on each cake and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Serve immediately.
Since this cake is very light you can serve bigger pieces. Cut each cake into 8 pieces or 12 if you prefer smaller servings. Serves 16-24.
Keywords: easy chocolate cake recipe, vanilla whipped cream, chocolate cake with vanilla whipped cream