Dark Chocolate Buttercream is the perfect cake and cupcake topping for chocolate lovers everywhere! Comes together in just 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter softened
- 5 cups (630 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp (65 g) baking cocoa
- 10 Tbsp milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment whip the butter until creamy.
- Add the chocolate, half the sugar and half the milk. Mix together starting slowly and speeding up as it combines.
- Put the remaining sugar and milk in and mix until well combined.
- Use to top your favorite cake or cupcakes!
- Store at room temperature for several days or in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
This is a thick piping buttercream, if you prefer it a little thinner add milk 1 tsp at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Keywords: dark chocolate buttercream recipe, dark chocolate icing, american buttercream recipe, chocolate buttercream