Let’s talk chocolate! Easter is right around the corner and everything pastel and cute is trending but I’m looking for that chocolate fix this week. Are you a chocolate lover? This Dark Chocolate Buttercream is just what you need.
I often feel that chocolate baked goods need to be lighter on the sugar and heavier on the chocolate. Give me all the flavor! Unfortunately I was super busy this week and I now have a large container of Dark Chocolate Buttercream on the counter and nothing to put it on.
Don’t make my mistake! This would be amazing on Funfetti Celebration Cupcakes, Easy Dark Chocolate Cake, or Black Forest Cupcakes. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it! Let me know in the comments if you have any other brilliant ideas for chocolate buttercream.
This week was really productive here, but I’m not particularly coherent so I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves today. If you would like to get the same extra dark buttercream I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa for this recipe. I imagine Ghirardelli Baking Cocoa would work as well but I haven’t tried it myself.
Let me know what you make with it and thanks for pinning and sharing!
Dark Chocolate Buttercream is the perfect cake and cupcake topping for chocolate lovers everywhere! Comes together in just 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter softened
- 5 cups (630 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp (65 g) baking cocoa
- 10 Tbsp milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment whip the butter until creamy.
- Add the chocolate, half the sugar and half the milk. Mix together starting slowly and speeding up as it combines.
- Put the remaining sugar and milk in and mix until well combined.
- Use to top your favorite cake or cupcakes!
- Store at room temperature for several days or in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
This is a thick piping buttercream, if you prefer it a little thinner add milk 1 tsp at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Keywords: dark chocolate buttercream recipe, dark chocolate icing, american buttercream recipe, chocolate buttercream