We are at the halfway point of Cookie Week! Day 4 is here already. Is it just me or does time seem to fly by these days? Oh well, we’ll salute it with a cookie. Today we’re baking Coconut Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies. I almost didn’t even start this recipe. I am not a big fan of dried cranberries and it seemed like a meh cookie to me. When it came down to it I told myself that other people would like it so just do it already. Well the joke’s on me because these cookies are fan-tas-tic!
Disclosure: this post includes affiliate links, if you click through one of my links and buy something I make a small commission. Thanks for helping me keep this blog running!
This kind of cookie can easily be a little dry and bland so I wanted to avoid that from the start. In the summer issue of Bake from Scratch magazine they featured a section on how to bake the perfect chocolate chip cookie. There is a recipe for each type of cookie (crispy, cakey, chewy, etc) and a chart showing which ingredients are important to that cookie type. I decided to start from that chart and work my way up to the cookie I wanted.
The cookie I wanted was dense and chewy but still soft. I started with melted butter which makes a more moist and compact cookie. From there I added both brown and white sugar since brown sugar also adds moisture to the dough. An extra egg yolk beefs up the protein and voila, Coconut Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies were born! I chopped the cranberries into small pieces so that I wouldn’t have to bite into a big chunk and they blend beautifully with the coconut and oatmeal. This also ensures that they spread around more evenly and don’t end up in clumps. Unsweetened coconut flakes and rolled oats turn these into a tasty trail cookie that is perfect for fall hikes, camping and tailgating! I used the medium cookie scoop for this recipe because I wanted a little bit larger cookie.
I’d love to see any of the cookies you’ve made this week! Tag me @teatimebaker on instagram.
I’ll see you tomorrow for Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies (yep you read that right)! Until then, thanks for pinning and sharing.
Coconut Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies are a tasty trail cookie, perfect for fall hikes, camping and tailgating!
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup (100 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1–1/4 cup (195 g) white flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (100 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (35 g) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup (30 g) chopped dried cranberries
- Put both of the sugars into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Pour the melted butter in and beat on medium high for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix.
- Next add the flour, baking soda, salt and oats and combine.
- Stir in the coconut flakes and cranberries.
- Chill for 1-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough onto your lined trays with a medium cookie scoop about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
You could definitely substitute other dried fruits for the cranberries. Nuts would also be good!
Keywords: coconut cranberry cookies, oatmeal cookie recipe, tailgate cookies, fall cookies, picnic cookie recipe, cookies for kids