Hello and welcome back! I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday season so far. Ours has been busy but mostly in a good, spending time together kind of way. Today is a lovely quiet day at home and I wanted to give you one last post and recipe before the New Year is upon us. So here it is: DIY Chocolate Spoons!
Disclosure: this post includes affiliate links. If you click through one of my links and buy something I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for helping me keep this blog running!
I’m planning to use these for a hot chocolate bar this winter. It would be perfect for New Year’s Eve or Valentine’s Day or just a winter day that needs a special touch. When we’re deep in the trenches of February cold sometimes we need a little pick me up for morale. It would pair beautifully with my Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream recipe!
We made these two different ways and I will be sharing both methods here today. First I melted plain dark chocolate in a small bowl. Then I dipped each spoon and laid it out onto wax paper and sprinkled it with my chosen topping. While this method does work, the chocolate will discolor quickly if it is exposed to air at all. Also, it doesn’t melt off the spoon very fast.
I mixed the chocolate into a little warmed whipping cream for the next batch and that is the recipe you’ll find below. This keeps the chocolate color looking beautiful for literally months (as if you wouldn’t have eaten them :D). They are a little slower to dry, but a pop in the freezer will give them a good start.
DIY Chocolate Spoons make an excellent gift! In my new shop you can find Chocolate Spoon kits if you would like to have it all ready to put together quickly. If you prefer to make a very large batch you can purchase just the spoons and my favorite chocolate chips on Amazon.
Happy New Year! Lots to come in 2019, I’ll see you on the other side!
DIY Chocolate Spoons are the perfect winter pick me up. They make a great addition to hot chocolate bars, morning coffee or just a little mid-day treat!
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- Toppings: colorful sprinkles, mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint, and anything else that sounds good!
- Cover a cookie sheet with a layer of wax paper to chill your finished spoons on. Gather your toppings and have them ready in small bowls if you need them.
- In a small heat proof bowl warm the cream in a microwave or over the stove in a small pan.
- Add the chopped up chocolate and stir until fully melted together, continuing to heat if necessary.
- Dip each spoon into the chocolate and carefully coat the front and back.
- Lay each spoon onto the wax paper and sprinkle with your choice of topping.
- Once the tray is full, carefully put it into the freezer (flat!) and let them chill for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and let them dry and finish hardening for a few hours/overnight.
- Store in an airtight bag once fully dry.
I tipped my bowl when dipping the spoons so that I had a chocolate pool.
Try a few and you’ll find a dipping rhythm that works well for you! There really isn’t a wrong way.
These will melt into your drink somewhat slowly leaving some to eat off the spoon as well 🙂
Keywords: chocolate spoon recipe, diy chocolate spoons, how to make chocolate spoons