Soft, delicious, multi-grain homemade cinnamon rolls topped with caramel icing. Guilt free for any day of the week! Make double and share with your friends!
- 1/2 batch of my Simple Multi-Grain Bread Dough
- ground cinnamon
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup (75-100g) packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted (optional)
- 3 Tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp Homemade Caramel Dipping Sauce
- 1 3/4 cup (180g) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Make the bread dough and let it rise at room temp until it has doubled in size 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a 9″ (23 cm) round cake pan.
- If you made a full batch of dough, divide it in half and put one half back in the bowl.
- Lightly flour the counter and roll the other half out into a rectangle about 14″ x 18″ (35 x 45cm).
- Brush the dough with butter and then sprinkle on a good layer of cinnamon.
- Use your hands to break up the brown sugar and sprinkle it across the cinnamon. Once it’s all on, pat it out to flatten it a little and get better coverage.
- Starting at one end of the longer edge, gently roll up the dough into as tight a spiral as you can.
- Mark the top with a knife into thirds and then thirds again to get nine even pieces. Cut with a sharp serrated knife or a piece of sewing thread.
- Place the rolls into the pan – one in the middle and the other eight around it.
- Let the rolls rise for about 30 minutes and then brush with the remaining butter and bake for 40 – 45 mins on the middle rack of the oven.
- Your cinnamon rolls should be a deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
- Put the butter, caramel, powdered sugar and milk into a stand mixer and beat to combine.
- If you want to adjust the consistency add another Tbsp of milk to thin or 1/4 cup powdered sugar to thicken.
Eat warm and enjoy!
To reheat for breakfast either microwave for a few seconds or to steam them on the stove use a skillet with a lid and a couple tablespoons of water on medium heat for 5-10 mins.
Keywords: cinnamon roll recipe, homemade cinnamon rolls, breakfast bread recipe