Apple Spice Muffins are the perfect fall breakfast! Topped with a cinnamon pecan streusel for just the right amount of crunch they are perfect with a cup of tea.
- 2 cups (270 g) unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (55 g) old-fashioned oats
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (175 g) sugar
- 6 Tbsp (85 g) melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (235 g) buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) plain greek yogurt
- 1–1/2 cups (140 g) chopped apple
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup (110 g) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1–1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease or line muffin pans for 20 muffins.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, add the flour, cinnamon, sugar and nuts. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Stir together the first 9 ingredients (flour through salt). Add the chopped apple pieces and toss.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat together the sugar and melted butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Add 1 cup of the flour mixture and the yogurt and mix on low.
- Stir in the rest of the flour mixture and the buttermilk. The batter will be very thick.
- With a large scoop or a 1/4 cup measure scoop the batter into the prepared pans. Sprinkle a generous amount of the streusel topping on each.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a pick inserted comes out clean.
If you don’t have buttermilk combine 1 cup milk and 1 tsp fresh lemon juice in a small bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until you need it.
Keywords: easy breakfast muffins, apple spice muffin recipe, autumn breakfast recipe, apple muffins