I am soooo happy to finally be back with a new recipe! This last year and a half have been a crazy whirlwind of house hunting, house selling and remodeling. Thankfully we are happily settled in our new home and neighborhood which we LOVE and hope to stay in forever! I also am super loving my new kitchen which I am living in while the kids are at school. I’ve been testing tons of recipes and reading all the cookbooks but the first one going up here is Apple Cider Cupcakes.
I do like a good pumpkin dessert this time of year but I wanted to deviate a little and find an alternative that stills feel like fall. Apple Cider Cupcakes have a good almost apple pie flavor in the cake with a delicious Apple Cider Buttercream to top it off. Definitely tastes like fall in a cupcake!
It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only two weeks away. I’m thinking about some alternative sides that could be added into the mix this year. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? It’s the same thing with desserts. Is pie absolutely necessary? Can we mix and match to have traditional and also something new and interesting? We’ll see how that comes out this year.
Maybe what we need to do is to plan a few casual teatime gatherings to really open up the range of things we bake and cook this season. Let me know in the comments here or on Instagram (@teatimebaker) what you love to eat this time of year. I need some new Thanksgiving inspiration!
Apple Cider cupcakes make a delicious fall treat. Take a break from pumpkin everything to try this easy cupcake recipe today!
- ½ c (115g) butter
- ½ cup (95g) packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (105g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2–½ c (235g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cloves
- 1 c (235ml) buttermilk
- ½ c (120ml) apple cider
- ¾ c (175g) butter
- 4–½ c (550g) powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- 3 Tbsp apple cider
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F (170C) and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat the sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add them to the mixer alternating with the buttermilk and apple cider. Mix each addition until just incorporated.
- Scoop into the paper liners – approximately ¼ cup or you can use a large cookie scoop.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool on wire racks.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment whip the butter until it becomes pale.
- Add half the sugar and the spices and mix on low (so it doesn’t fly out of the bowl!)
- Next add the rest of the sugar and the apple cider and whip until well mixed and fluffy.
- When cupcakes are fully cool ice with a knife or your favorite piping tip.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Keywords: apple cider cupcake recipe, fall cupcakes, apple cider buttercream recipe, autumn cupcake recipes